Winters are looking good for Chocolate lovers in the Cape Winelands!
The WINELANDS CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL 20 – 21 August 2016 at Blaauwklippen Estate, has just what you need to add fire and fun to the cold winter – Gourmet chocolate, delicious food, fine wines and a festival too! What more could you ask for? STELLENBOSCH offers many other activities and places to see, to keep you entertained during your stay in the Winelands.
- You can stroll down the oak-lined streets of the friendly university town of Stellenbosch and browse through the many quaint and beautiful shopping areas.
- Every Saturday from 9 – 2pm, come rain, hail or snow, you can visit the SLOW MARKET at the Oude Libertas Estate for gourmet food and treats that are grown, raised, harvested, created and eaten by local food lovers.
- Stellenbosch is a cultural town and a prime Art destination that buzzes with artistic activities, workshops, beautiful galleries.
- The Stellenbosch University Music Conservatoire / Endler Hall hold regular classical concerts.
- Or, you can visit the local township, Kayamandi, where you could stay overnight and enjoy a traditional meal and generous hospitality with friendly hosts. You can take a guided tour through the historic parts of town, or enjoy a massage or pampering at one of the top Spa’s in the centre of town.
- You can get married and/ or stay at some of the most beautiful hotels and wine estates in the world. You can stroll, hike, cycle, stroke a cheetah, marvel at the butterflies, the crocodiles, the giraffes…
- You can visit the L’Ormarins car museum or the old brandy museum; walk in the nature reserves, take endless beautiful photographs.
- Stellenbosch is one of the acknowledged culinary capitals of South Africa and the food is guaranteed good wherever you go – The many excellent culinary schools in the area produce enthusiastic and talented chefs each year, so you can be assured of fresh, artisanal, home-grown, delicious fare – with the opportunity of drinking some of the finest wines in the world!
Here are some events In and around the Stellenbosch Wine Routes and Cape Town:
Click through to each event for more information – and keep coming back to this page to check as we will add the events and places of interest as we hear of them.
For more information, go to www.stellenbosch.travel
FEAST OF SHIRAZ AND CHARCUTERIE (7 June)
Sip and swirl at Hartenberg Estate, Stellenbosch. Saturday, 7 June 2014. This one-day food and wine affair offers foodies and wine lovers an opportunity to indulge in delicious meats, gourmet cheese, olive products, and, of course, Shiraz. Visitors also get to meet to meet and greet the specially invited artisans behind these top-class products, some of which are not commercially available. Not to mention, restaurants will be on hand with some fantastic complementary dishes.
COST: Tickets for the food and wine extravaganza are available via Webtickets.com and cost R180p/p; the ticket price includes and wine
SOUP, SIP AND BREAD WINTER FEAST (7 – 8 June)
Hearty homemade soups and artisan breads perfectly paired with signature wines from twelve of the region’s wine farms on Saturday, 7 and
Sunday, 8 June in the Durbanville Winelands to the strains of live entertainment! Put your feet up at the fireplace and partake in some of the activities available at select estates.
COST: Each winery’s offering is individually priced. For more information or to book, contact each venue directly. www.durbanvillewine.co.za
TASTE THE HELDERBERG Wine Show (12 June)
Sample fine wines and gourmet cuisine at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West on Thursday, 12 June. The one-night wine and dine event will also offer patrons the rare opportunity to chat to the winemakers of the Helderberg area. Over 100 wines will be on offer, and many of the area’s top restaurants have prepared signature dishes to go with the tastings.
Tickets cost R70p/p; wine tasting samples and a branded tasting glass are included in the ticket price. www.helderbergwineroute.co.za
KAMERS VOL GESKENKE (‘Rooms full of Gifts’) Craft Market 1 – 1 June.
Beautifully hand-crafted items for sales at a historic venue – the Castle of Good Hope – in Cape Town.
Tickets are R60 p.p. and R40 for students and pensioners. www.kamersvol.com
Shake off the winter blues at JIVE, a seriously funny comedy festival at the Baxter theatre from 26 – May to the 20 June. A side-splitting affair that will have you giggling all night long.
Tickets R150 p.p.
BOTTELARY HILLS WINEMAKER’S LUNCH
This is a French inspired feast in the cellar of the popular Hartenberg Estate, STELLENBOSCH on the 25th May www.wineroute.co.za
BLAAUWKLIPPEN FAMILY MARKET
Open every Sunday of the year. Food, wine, craft beer and entertainment for the whole family.
At The Woodmill in the heart of Stellenbosch – on the last Friday of every month.
Remember, it is Father’s Day on the 16 June and Youth Day on the 19 June.
Take time out to spend with your loved ones. Give them chocolate and then spoil them some more!